What a long winter it’s been! With the days getting longer and the weather getting warmer, we can finally start to enjoy the outdoors. A winter like this last one may have left some damage or a need to clean up both the inside and outside of our homes. As we are Spring-cleaning, we must remember to be sure that we put safety first as we tend to our homes.
Some things to be on the look out for during your Spring-cleaning process are:
- Check for cracks in the sidewalks and walkways that the brutal winter could have caused. If they are a tripping hazard, be sure to get it repaired before you or others trip and fall.
- Be sure that your siding doesn’t have any loose materials or chipped paint.
- A rough winter produces debris from the rain gutters and high winds in storms. Be sure you are aware of your footing as you walk through your yard that there are no obstacles that cause a fall.
- If you are starting to open your windows, be sure your screens are in tact so that no unwanted critters wander in your home.
- It may be a while since you cleaned certain things inside your home. Now that it’s Spring, you may be inspired to tackle those things. Be sure to know your limitations and if you need help, either reach out to a family member or call a cleaning service.
- Make it a yearly habit to change the batteries in your smoke detector and carbon monoxide detectors when we “Spring Ahead”.
We are so happy to welcome Spring, but be sure be aware of hidden dangers when caring for your home inside and out.
Stacey Krout Minor, PhD(c), MSN, RN